This ice cream cake recipe is so very easy, and it can be made in a variety of flavor combinations, from cookie dough to black raspberry! This recipe can even be adapted to be dairy free.
This ice cream cake recipe is based on my mom's "famous" ice cream cake, which she used to make for my brother's birthday every year. He preferred mint chocolate chip ice cream cake, but it can be made with many different flavors.
The best part about homemade ice cream cake versus a store bought cake is that you aren't limited in your choices. You can customize this recipe to suit your tastes, diet, or allergies. In fact, I made a version of this ice cream cake for my daughter, and it was completely dairy free.
How to Customize Your Homemade Ice Cream Cake:
- Cookies: Traditional Oreos are a popular choice as a base, but there are so many other types of cookies you can use as well. Try a flavored Oreo (chocolate peanut butter or white Oreos would be delicious), Nutter Butters, or even Girl Scout Cookies! Any cookie that crumbles well would work well.
- Ice Cream Flavors: There is no limit to the type of ice cream you can use. If you want to cut sugar or calorie, you can use a light ice cream. Just make to choose an ice cream that complements the cookie flavor you choose.
- Fudge Topping: My mom uses hot fudge as a topping. But you could experiment with caramel sauce, berry sauce, or Hershey's Chocolate Syrup.
- Frozen Whipped Topping: Cool Whip is the standard; however, you can use any type of whipped topping you prefer, including dairy free (see below).
- Extra Toppings: I used some additional cookies for my ice cream cake topping, but the sky's the limit when it comes to ideas. You could use sprinkles, chopped up candy bars, chocolate chips, peanut butter chips, or anything else you'd like.
This a "no fail" recipe. You simple layer on the ingredients and put the cake into the freezer to set.
Related recipe: Frozen Chocolate Banana Bites
How to Make a Dairy Free Ice Cream Cake:
If you want to make an ice cream cake for someone who is allergic to dairy or is a vegan, these are the ingredients I recommend:
- Original Oreo Cookies or Nutter Butters
- Dairy free ice cream (there are many varieties and flavors made with nut milks)
- Hershey's Chocolate Syrup
- So Delicious Dairy Free CocoWhip
Related recipe: Peanut Butter Chocolate No Bake Dessert
Easy Homemade Ice Cream Cake
- 28 oreo cookies
- 3 pints hard ice cream a little less than 1/2 a gallon
- 1 ¼ cup hot fudge ice cream topping
- 8 oz frozen whipped topping
- 8 x 8 square dish
- Place the ice cream on a countertop at room temperature to soften (approx 20 minutes).
- Put 24 of the oreo cookies into a sealable ziplock bag and use a rolling pin or the smooth side of a meat tenderizer to crush them into small pieces.
- Place an even layer of oreos into the bottom of an 8x8 freezer friendly baking dish.
- Using a spatula, carefully spread the softened ice cream over the top of the cookies.
- Place the dish into the freezer for approx 30 minutes or until ice cream is hardened.
- Gently spread the fudge over the top of the ice cream and return to the freezer for approx 30 minutes. While waiting for the fudge to harden, remove the whipped topping from the freezer and allow to thaw at room temperature.
- Spread thawed topping onto fudge layer and return to the freezer. When ready to serve, roughly chop 4 remaining oreos and sprinkle over the top of the cake.
Tuesday 3rd of March 2020
This sounds like the dessert of dreams! I love ice cream cakes, but I've never tried making my own, so I think it's time I tried - I just hope mine turns out looking as amazing as yours! xx
Wednesday 4th of March 2020
Thanks, Gemma! It's honestly so easy, and it's fun to play around with different flavor combinations.
Tuesday 3rd of March 2020
I know what I'm eating once my Whole 30 is over! :D (Defeats the purpose, but I dream in pictures that resemble this post.)