This Instant Pot soup recipe made with sausage, white beans, and vegetables is a family favorite. It used to take hours on the stovetop, but in the Instant Pot pressure cooker, it's done in less than one hour.
One of the staple Instant Pot soups in our house is adapted from a recipe I found years ago on Budget Bytes.
- smoked sausage (I opt for turkey sausage)
- white beans (I use navy beans, but other varieties would work well, too)
- fresh herbs
With the smokiness of the sausage and the addition of fresh thyme and rosemary, it's got great flavor and tastes really hearty despite being packed full of vegetables.
It's my favorite way to serve lots of veggies at once, and my kids' favorite way to eat them!
Hint: Like all soup recipes I post, this Instant Pot soup is also made infinitely better when paired with some warm, crusty bread. :)
More hearty soup recipes: Chicken Tortilla Soup
When I got my Instant Pot, this sausage and white bean soup was the first recipe that I wanted to test out.
Although I've enjoyed making this soup recipe in the past, it's been one of the more labor intensive recipes in my rotation, and I loved the idea of making it quicker and simpler in the IP.
In the past, I had to soak the navy beans overnight and cook them for hours before they were soft. Even if I substituted canned beans, it still took at least 1-2 hours until they were soft enough to mash in order to create a creamier texture in the soup.
When I made it in the Instant Pot, I was able to skip several cooking steps AND the overall cooking time was way shorter.
After giving the turkey sausage, onion, and garlic a brief saute in the Instant Pot, you just add the other ingredients, set it and walk away!
In about 30-40 minutes you'll have a hot, lovely pot of soup just waiting to be eaten.
Cooking Time Info:
As I explain in my Instant Pot 101 post, the cooking time can be a little misleading. If you're setting it to cook for 20 minutes, it could take up to 20 minutes for the Instant Pot to pressurize, which means a total cooking time of 40 minutes.
Keep that in mind if you're planning a meal for a certain time.
Best Smoked Sausage for Soup:
You can substitute regular smoked sausage for the turkey smoked sausage if you prefer, but I like using the turkey sausage because it makes the soup less greasy, and there's no fat draining involved.
*If I'm making this recipe on the stovetop, I use canned beans instead of dried beans.
- In a large soup pot, saute the sausage until browned, and drain any fat.
- Add onions, and cook until softened.
- Add carrots, garlic, celery, and herbs. Saute until the vegetables begin to soften.
- Pour in broth and add (canned) beans and baby spinach.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce to a simmer and cook for 30-45 minutes or until beans have become soft enough to mash with a spoon.
Instant Pot White Bean Soup with Sausage and Vegetables
- 1 lb bag dry navy beans or other white beans of choice, soaked for several hours* (see notes)
- 1-2 tablespoon olive oil
- 14 oz smoked turkey sausage sliced into medallions
- ½ onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 3 carrots peeled and chopped
- 2 stalks celery chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme chopped
- 2 teaspoon fresh rosemary chopped
- 7 cups vegetable broth
- 3 cups fresh baby spinach
- 1 teaspoon salt (plus more to taste)
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- Using the saute function, add olive oil and cook sausage until browned.
- Add onions and saute until translucent. Add garlic and saute for one minute. Turn saute off.
- Rinse the beans and add them to the pot, along with all remaining ingredients.
- Set to pressure cook (manual) on high for 20 minutes.
- When finished, quick release the steam valve.
- Open and season with additional salt and/or pepper to taste.
- To thicken the soup, use a wooden spoon to smash some of the beans against the side of the pot.
- Serve with warm, crusty bread.
Sunday 9th of October 2022
This recipe is amazing!! Thank you so much! I was hoping to section some off for lunches, but the whole pot was eaten before I had the chance to!! A keeper for sure!! I put basil in instead of rosemary and thyme due to what I had that was fresh and it was really good😊
Friday 14th of October 2022
It sounds really good with basil!
Sunday 11th of September 2022
This soup was delicious!! The only addition I made was a little splash of lemon juice right at the end. I do that with split pea. It gave it a great brightness. Also , instead of smashing some of the beans, I took about 4 cups of beans out using a flat ladle with holes (had to pick out the sausage and mist of the veggies). Then I used my hand blender to purée them and then returned them to the soup. It thickened up perfectly.
Friday 14th of October 2022
That sounds really good!
Sunday 15th of May 2022
Loved this soup! I used dry seasonings in place of fresh & add some crushed red pepper. I’ve made this twice & its a keeper 😊
Thursday 2nd of June 2022
Sunday 16th of January 2022
This recipe is absolutely delicious!
Saturday 15th of January 2022
Love this recipe! It has been a cold weather fave for a couple years now!!! I don’t have an instant pot but figured it out ? thank you so much for sharing!