This no bake chocolate peanut butter dessert features layers of crispy cornflakes mixed with peanut butter, cream cheese, and dark chocolate pudding, topped with fluffy whipped cream. It is a slice of heaven, and an easy dessert for a crowd.
When it comes to food vices, I'm more of a cheese and potato chips girl. But this delicious and easy summer dessert is something that nobody can turn down!
I first had this amazing concoction two summers ago when we reunited with some good friends who were visiting family in Pennsylvania. We were invited to their annual 4th of July BBQ potluck, and I kept hearing whispers about a famous dessert known as "Aunt Barb's dessert."
When someone has a signature cookout dessert, you just know it's going to be fantastic. Add in the fact that it contains layers of peanut butter, cream cheese, and chocolate, and, well, I didn't even care about my hotdog anymore, I just wanted to dive face first into the dessert.
It did not disappoint. Before I was halfway through my first forkful, I'd renamed it "Chocolate Peanut Butter Heaven" because that is exactly what it is. It's a total crowd pleaser, and the ideal dessert for a potluck.
All of the flavors and textures go together so harmoniously, you can practically hear birds singing with each bite. The bottom layer is made from combining peanut butter with crushed cornflakes, which gives it a tremendously satisfying crunch.
Related recipe: Chocolate Peanut Butter Cookies
Then you add in a layer of sweetened cream cheese for that slightly tart factor which balances out the richness of the chocolate and peanut butter.
Then you top it with some thick chocolate pudding (I chose dark chocolate pudding because I love the rich taste, but you could use milk chocolate instead). And finally, you cover it all with a layer of whipped topping, which gives it a beautifully light and airy quality that just takes it to that next level of heavenly perfection.
Related recipe: Amazingly Easy Peanut Butter Fudge
I called my friend and begged her to track down the recipe. Thankfully she obliged, and now I have the chance to make it for myself, and share it with you! I'm not kidding — if you make this, you will be the hero of everyone in the room.
Related recipe: Frozen Banana Bites
Make Ahead Tips:
You should make the chocolate pudding ahead to give it time to set, but I recommend making the rest of the dessert on the day you plan to serve it. The cornflake mixture starts to lose its crunch after about 24 hours, so keep that in mind when you're timing everything.
It's also best to allow 30 minutes for each layer to freeze to make it easier to spread the next layer without jumbling everything up. (BTW, "jumbling" is a very important culinary term). :)
Chocolate Peanut Butter Heaven (Easy No Bake Dessert)
- 3 3.5 oz pkgs instant chocolate pudding dark or milk chocolate
- 4 c milk
- 5 ½ c cornflakes slightly crushed
- 1 ½ c peanut butter
- 2 8 oz pkgs pkgs cream cheese softened
- ¾ c powdered sugar
- 3 c cool whip
- mini chocolate chips optional, for serving
- Combine the milk and pudding mix with an electric mixer. Once smooth, put in the refrigerator to set for at least 1 hr or overnight.
- For the bottom layer, mix the cornflakes and peanut butter until combined (the best way to do this is with your hands; it's messy, but effective). Spread the cornflake/pb mixture into the bottom of a 13x9 baking dish until evenly coated. Place into the freezer for 30 minutes to allow it to harden.
- While the pb mixture is setting, combine the softened cream cheese, powdered sugar, and 1 cup cool whip. Mix on medium speed until smooth.
- Remove the pan from the freezer and spread the cream cheese mixture over the bottom layer. Return to the freezer for 30 more minutes to set.
- After the cream cheese layer has firmed a little, spread on the chocolate pudding. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Just before serving, spread on the additional 2 cups cool whip and top with mini chocolate chips.