Seasoned with herbs and spices - including mint and smoked paprika - this smooth, blended lentil soup is bound to become your new favorite comfort food.
Last year, I met a friend for lunch at a local Turkish restaurant. The lunch special included a bowl of their signature red lentil soup, and some pita bread for dipping (a must). The soup had such a unique, warm, and comforting flavor, and I found myself craving it for weeks.
I couldn't quite put my finger on what herb I was tasting until I did a little research into Turkish soup recipes. The mystery flavor was mint. The dried mint gives the soup a brightness that I haven't found in most traditional lentil soup recipes.
Once I figured out that mystery herb, I set to work trying to recreate the soup at home.
More comfort food soup recipes: Chicken Tortilla Soup
It was surprisingly easy! I balanced out the mint with a combination of sweet and smoked paprika. And to give the soup some additional heft and creaminess, I added a diced potato to the mix. The potato gives the lentil soup a great texture when it's pureed.
This red lentil soup tastes creamy despite the fact that it's dairy-free.
It's especially simple to puree the soup if you have an immersion blender on hand, because you can blend the ingredients right in the pot. That means less dishes to wash.
If you're already a fan of my other tried and true soup recipes, I'm positive you'll love this blended red lentil soup, too. It's got a unique taste, but it's one I keep craving again and again -- especially in the winter months.
As a bonus, it's packed with nutrients (there are many health benefits of lentils), the ingredients are inexpensive, and you can keep most of them stocked in your pantry for a quick and easy weeknight dinner.
More comfort food pureed soups to try: Creamy Tomato Soup with Mascarpone Cheese
Make it Vegan:
If you swap out the chicken broth with vegetable broth, this recipe becomes vegan. And it's every bit as delicious!
Pureed Red Lentil Soup
- 2 tablespoon olive oil extra virgin
- ½ onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic diced
- ½ c canned diced tomatoes
- 8-9 c chicken stock
- 2 c red lentils
- 4 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 ½ tablespoon dried mint
- 2 c potato diced
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt more to taste
- Heat olive oil in a large soup pot. Add onion and stir, cooking until translucent. Add garlic and saute for one additional minute.
- Add all other ingredients to the pot. Bring to a boil and then reduce to a low boil/simmer.
- Simmer for 30-40 minutes, or until lentils and potatoes are soft. Transfer in batches to a blender and blend until smooth (or use a stick-blender to blend directly in the pot).
- Serve with warm pita bread for dipping.