Chopped brussels sprouts are combined with bacon, arugula, and a tangy lemon vinaigrette in this fantastic salad.
Brussels sprouts salad
Years ago, I was NOT a fan of brussels sprouts. But eventually, I learned it wasn't the brussels sprouts themselves I didn't like -- it was the PREPARATION.
Mushy boiled Brussels sprouts or the ones steamed right in the package from frozen are pretty awful. Crispy, flavorful, crunchy Brussels sprouts in a salad?? Now that's a different story.
This salad has crispy bits of bacon, a little peppery arugula, and a tasty, light lemony dressing. Definitely worth a try, whether you love Brussels sprouts or are a little skeptical.
Related recipe: Marinated Summer Vegetable Salad
Holiday salad side dish
This Brussels sprouts salad also makes a great healthier lighter salad for Thanksgiving or Christmas. It goes perfectly alongside dry brine turkey (or dry brine chicken for a smaller gathering) and this Ciabatta Stuffing with Pancetta.
Shredded Brussels sprouts
I've made brussels sprouts a few different ways over the years, but this shredded brussels sprouts salad preparation is my favorite. It works perfectly as a side dish or as a main dish (especially if you add a little grilled chicken on top).
When you chop up the brussels sprouts and give them a light saute, they retain a fantastic crunch and turn a beautiful shade of bright green.
Related recipe: Simple Kale Salad
Shortcuts & Substitutions:
- You can substitute a store bought vinaigrette (although I highly recommend the homemade version - it's quick to make).
- I use arugula in this recipe, but you can substitute any other salad green you like.
- To save time, you can purchase pre-shredded brussels sprouts at most grocery stores.
- If you'd like to make this a main course, I recommend adding grilled chicken breast and/or hard boiled eggs.
If you're looking for a salad that's quick, healthy, and a crowd pleaser, you need to add this one to your menu. And you might just convert even the staunchest brussels sprouts hater at the table.
Brussels Sprouts Salad with Bacon
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 8 slices bacon separated
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 2 lbs approx 4 cups roughly chopped brussels sprouts
- 1 slice lemon
- 8 oz arugula or other tender salad greens roughly chopped
- Cook 5 slices of bacon until crisp using the method of your choice. Cool, chop and set aside for later.
- In a skillet, drizzle some olive oil, and lightly saute the 3 uncooked bacon slices until they're just starting to render.
- Add the garlic and chopped brussels sprouts and stir over medium/low heat for about 1 minute.
- Squeeze in the juice from your lemon slice and sprinkle in some salt and pepper.
- Saute for an additional 2 minutes, or until the sprouts have softened a little, but still have some crunch, drizzling in a little more olive oil if needed.
- Add additional salt and lemon juice to taste, and remove from heat.
- Remove bacon slices and discard.
- Once the sauteed brussels sprouts have cooled slightly, toss them in a large bowl with the chopped greens and the cooked, chopped bacon. Just before serving, toss with the dressing.
- Place all ingredients into a closed container and shake until combined.